Dr. Quang Hoan Le
Technical University of Munich
Munich Institute of Robotics and Machine Intelligence (MIRMI)
Place of employment
Munich Institute of Robotics and Machine Intelligence (MIRMI)
2022- present: Scientific Associate at Munich Institute of Robotics and Machine Intelligence, Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany.
2020-2022: Researcher at Hanbat National University, Deajeon, South Korea.
2018-2020: Lecturer at Hochiminh University of Technology, Hochiminh, Vietnam.
2015-2018: Postdoctoral researcher at University of Ulsan, Ulsan, South Korea.
2020-2022 Implement the Deep Reinforcement Learning for the hexapod robot, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Hanbat National University, South Korea.
- Build the 3d model of the hexapod robot using CAD software and convert it to the URDF model
- Import and build the hexapod environment (based OpenAI GYM) with Pybullet physics engine or RAISIM physics engine.
- Implement the deep reinforcement learning (PPO algorithm) to conduct the gait for the hexapod robot. (toolkit: stable baselines 3)
- Sim-to-Real transfers technique to apply the DRL for the real prototype of a hexapod robot
- Design and execute the specific task for the robot
- Body stabilization while walking on the rough surfaces
- Target reaching and obstacle avoidance
2017-2018 3D printed mobility humanoid robot arm, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Ulsan University.
- Design and conduct the 3d printed 5DOF humanoid robot arm.
- Kinematics, perception, and control of the 5 DOF humanoid robot arm.
2016-2018 Development of core components and systems for special purposed machine in a disaster environment, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Ulsan University, (co-work with KITECH-Field Robot Lab).
- Arm development: design two 7-DOF arms operated by the hydraulic system.
- Hydraulic system: design and simulate the hydraulic circuit to supply the fluid power for the dual arms and moving platform.
- Control system: design the control device (guide rail) to operate the dual-arm machine.
2010-2015 Autonomous Field Robot, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Ulsan University, research advisor: Prof. Soon-Yong Yang).
- Development of a head tracking system, flexible vision system, and Virtual Reality excavator to give the operator the feeling of being at the actual work site in real-time.
- Design of the remote control of Field Robot using a portable control station.
- Track the motion of a user’s head via AHRS to control the movements of the pan/tilt CCD cameras.
- Present an intuitive configuration of joystick for the operator in the flattening task of Field Robot.
2010-2012 Field Robot real-time simulation, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Ulsan University, research advisor: Prof. Soon-Yong Yang
- Study on the hydraulic system and dynamic system of the Field Robot
- Simulation of the operation for the Field Robot using Simulink, SimHydraulic, SimMechanics, xPC target, and 3D Animation of the Matlab software.
2012-2013 Wheelchair storage and device transferring for the disabled driver, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Ulsan University, research advisor: Prof. Soon-Yong Yang (cooperation with EDEN Motor Company)
- Design of a wheelchair storage system to back up the wheelchair into the car’s trunk.
- Design of the Robot Arm for transferring the wheelchair from the car's trunk to the driver's seat
2012-2014 MAMI Project
- Assistant for MAMI 2012 Project: Development of an obstacle avoidance system for an autonomous mobile robot.
- Assistant for MAMI 2013 Project: Study on the vision system for the turret robot.
- Assistant for MAMI 2014 Project: Design of the fruit collector system using a mobile manipulator
2015 World-Class Capstone Design
- Assistant for the World-Class Capstone Design: Intuitive configuration of Joystick for the operator in leveling task of field robot.
2016 - 2018 Domestic Capstone Design
- Assistant for the Domestic Capstone Design 2016: Teaching and playback for a mobility manipulator.
- Assistant for the Domestic Capstone Design 2018: Design and control a 3D printed humanoid arm robot.
2018-2020 Lecturer at Hochiminh University of Technology
- Industrial electrical device
- Applied hydraulic power system
- Industrial automation system
2020-2022 Domestic Capstone Design
- Assistant for the Domestic Capstone Design 2020: Design and control of the hybrid wheeled-legged armchair-like vehicle.
- Teaching assistant for the subject
- Fundamental of robotic
2010-2015 Ms-PhD combined in Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, University of Ulsan, Ulsan, South Korea.
Supervised by Professor Soon Yong Yang
Thesis title: A study on the smart observation system for remote control of Field Robot
2005-2010 BSs Mechanical Engineering in Ho Chi Minh University of Technology, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam.
2008-2010 Quoc Hoc Hue High school, Hue, Vietnam
- Q. H. Le, Y. M. Jeong, C. T. Nguyen, and S. Y. Yang, "Development of a Virtual Excavator using SimMechanics and SimHydraulic", Journal of Drive and Control, Vol 10, No. 1, pp.29~36, 2013
- C. T. Nguyen, Q. H. Le, Y. M. Jeong and S. Y. Yang, "A Study of Stability for Field Robot using Energy Stability Level Method", KSFC, Vol 11, No. 3, pp.22~30, 2014
- Q. H. Le, Y. M. Jeong, C. T. Nguyen, and S. Y. Yang, "Development of the Flexible Observation System for a Virtual Reality Excavator Using the Head Tracking System", Journal of Drive and Control, Vol 12, No. 2,pp. 27~33, 2015.
- Q. H. Le, J. W. Lee, S. Y. Yang, “Remote control of excavator using head tracking and flexible monitoring method”, Automation in Construction, Vol: 81, pp. 99-111, 2017.
- Quang Hoan Le, WangHun Lee, YoungShik Kim, Bong-Jo Ryu, Hyun-ho Shim and Buhyun Shin, "Micro Hexapod Robot Using Dual-axis Electromagnetic Actuator ", Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 6, pp.597-603, 2021.
- Le, Q.H., Lee, W., Kim, Y. et al. Miniaturized double-legged robot utilizing perpendicular-axes electromagnetic actuator. Microsyst Technol 28, 2249–2258 (2022).
- Ali, H.F.M., Kim, Y., Le, Q.H. et al. Modeling and control of two DOF shape memory alloy actuators with applications. Microsyst Technol 28, 2305–2314 (2022).
- Apparatus and control method of lighting for excavator (KR102455069B1)
- Remote control excavator monitoring system and method for monitoring using the system (KR20170136057A)
Hoan currently works as a Scientific Associate at the Munich Institute of Robotics and Machine Intelligence, in Germany. He completed his B.S. in Mechatronics Engineering from the Hochiminh University of Technology, Vietnam. He received a PhD in Hydraulic Field Robots from Ulsan University, South Korea, in 2015. He was a lecturer at the Hochiminh University of Technology three years later. In 2021, he was involved at the Hanbat National University as a scientific researcher. His research studies were initially concerned with teleoperated field robots and mechatronics system design, and latterly the locomotion of hybrid wheeled-legged robots and miniaturised robots using deep reinforcement learning.
Grants and Awards
Hochiminh University of Technology Research Grant (for school research in the industrial application) (2018-2020)
National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant funded by the Korea government (MSIP; Ministry of Science, ICT & Future Planning) (No. NRF-2017R1C1B5018324) (2020)
Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education (2020R1I1A307033312). (2020)
Award in Capstone design competition (aim as Team supervisor): third position (2015), fifth position (2018)
Award in National AI robotic competition (aim as Team supervisor): fifth position (2021)
Excellent paper at 2021 Spring Noise and Vibration Exhibition and Conference (then published in Journal of the Korean Society of Noise and Vibration Engineering funded by National Research Foundation of Korea) (2021)