Before joining MIRM as a PostDoc, Dr. Fan Wu did his PhD at King’s College London, where he introduced regenerative damping mechanism into compliant actuation and developed trajectory optimization method for energy efficient sequential movements. Prior to that, he studied applied mathematics and worked as a quantitative analyst and trader in stock and futures market. He is Senior Scientist at MIRMI since October 2020.
- optimal control and reinforcement learning
- optimal control for energy efficient elastic robots
- compliant actuation
- machine learning for embodied systems
- energy-aware policy learning
- collective learning
- PhD in Robotics, King’s College London, UK, 2016-2020
- Thesis: Energy Harvesting and Energy Efficient Control of Variable Impedance Actuators, supervised by Dr. Matthew Howard.
- MSc in Financial Mathematics (with Distinction), King's College London, UK, 2012-2013
- Thesis: Portfolio optimisation with non-Gaussian return distributions, supervised by Prof. Teemu Pennanen.
- BSc in Applied Mathematics, University of Science and Technology Beijing, China, 2008-2012
- Thesis: Asymptotic and Numerical Studies of Acoustic Waves Through A Foamed Concrete Wall, supervised by Dr. Mariya Ptashnyk and Prof. Ping Lin at University of Dundee.
- D. Ossadnik, M. C. Yildirim, F. Wu, A. Swikir, H. T. Kussaba, S. Abdolshah, Sami Haddadin, "BSA - Bi-Stiffness Actuation for optimally exploiting intrinsic compliance and inertial coupling effects in elastic joint robots." accepted to 2022 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS).
- Xiao Chen, Lars Johannsmeier, Erfan Shahriari, Hamid Sadeghian, Martin Danneberg, Anselm Nicklas, Fan Wu, Gerhard Fettweis, Sami Haddadin, On the Communication Channel in Bilateral Teleoperation: An Experimental Study for Ethernet, WiFi, LTE and 5G, accepted to 2022 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS).
- Fan Wu and Matthew Howard, Exploiting Variable Impedance for Energy Efficient Sequential Movements, arXiv preprint, 2020.
- Fan Wu and Matthew Howard, Energy regenerative damping in variable impedance actuators for long-term robotic deployment, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON ROBOTICS (T-RO), 2020.
- YuChen Zhao, Aran Sena, Fan Wu, Matthew Howard. A Framework for Teaching Impedance Behaviours by Combining Human and Robot ‘Best Practice’, IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2018.
- Fan Wu and Matthew Howard, A Hybrid Dynamic-regenerative Damping Scheme for Energy Regeneration in Variable Impedance Actuators. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2018.
- Samuel Pitou, Fan Wu, Ali Shafti, Brendan Michael, Riaan Stopforth, Matthew Howard, Embroidered Electrodes for Control of Affordable Myographic Prostheses. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2018.